According to Edwin.D.Flippo, Performance appraisal is the systematic, periodic and an impartial rating of employees excellence in matters pertaining to his present job and his potential for the better job.
OBJECTIVES OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL
The performance appraisal is used by the organizations in a large manner for a variety of purposes including for compensation decisions, promotion decisions, incentive schemes, etc to the employee. The objectives of performance are broadly listed below,
- To assess the work of the employees
- To improve efficiency
- To help management in awards and rewards
- To help management in providing promotions and demotions
- Provides compensation plan for organization
- To assess the strengths and weakness of an employee
- To determine the career potential of an employee
- To provide feedback to employees
- To provide coaching, counseling, and career planning to employees
- To plan for promotions and transfers of employees
- To improve morale of the employees
- To promote good superior and subordinate relations
- To serve as a basis for salary and wage administration, etc..