Promotion refers to the upward movement of an employee from his current job position to another resulting in higher pay, responsibility, status, etc. within an organization.
According to Edwin.D.Flippo, “promotion involves a change from one job to another i.e. better in terms of status and responsibility”.
PURPOSE OF PROMOTION
Promotions serve various purposes to both employees and also to the organization through improving the employee loyalty towards the organization and skilled and experienced workforce for the organization. Some of the objectives of promotion are as follows,
- To utilize the skill and knowledge of a senior or talented employee at an appropriate level in the organization’s hierarchy.
- To develop competitive spirit among the employees
- To develop competent workforce
- To promote self-development of an employee
- To improve sense of belongingness and sense of responsibility
- To improve confidence, loyalty, morale, and motivation of the employees
- To achieve employee job satisfaction by rewarding committed and hardworking employees, etc.
BASES FOR PROMOTION
- Service length of an employee
- The merit of an employee like performance, talent, etc.
- Career and succession plans
- Educational or technical qualifications
- Vacancy based on organizational chart
- Motivational strategy, etc.